Friday, August 9, 2013

Whole30 ....

I did it!
I completed the Whole30
I had no dairy, sugar, grains, processed food, alcohol
for 30 days
and I never cheated
and I've never felt better

For anyone not familiar with the Whole30, it is a 30 day nutrition challenge that focuses on eating a paleo based diet. On the Whole30 you eat meat, fish, eggs, tons of veggies, small amounts of fruit and lots of good fats. By doing this for 30 days you are re-setting your digestive system. It is a great way to
find out how different foods like dairy, grains, etc affect your body. Because when you finish, you slowly introduce these back into your system but no processed food.
I'm here to tell you that eating REAL food is def the way I will
live the rest of my life!

my results and thoughts......

  • The hardest part of this is the meal planning. But that was mostly the first week. After that, I really had the hang of it. And I always double cooked a lot of food so that I always had something on hand to eat. And I started using my crock pot a lot....especially overnight!
  • I have arthritis in my fingers. And every morning when I wake, I have to gently massage them just to open my hand. On the 4th or 5th morning of doing the Whole30 I went to do that and realized I didn't need to. And I have not had to since......my fingers feel great. When its been damp outside, I can feel it a little but nothing like what it was before.
  • After the first week, I basically lost most of my desire to snack. I did have a banana before I would go work out. And if I did want something, I would have a small handful of raw cashews.
  • Food taste amazing!! When I quit smoking just over 6 years ago, I thought my taste buds really woke up and food was good. Well now, after no processed food, they have really woken up. Food is even better!
  • I ate more during the Whole30 than I have ever eat....well, except when I was pregnant.
  • When I get out of the bed, no more aches and pains. Let's face it, I'm 57 years old so yes, getting out of bed you would be achy or stiff. But now, I feel fine!
  • skin is clearer, nails growing faster, hair is softer and just an overall good feeling.
  • I lost 9.4 lbs while doing this and overall 7 inches. I went down one pants size.
 
I went to my drs on Day 29 for my yearly physical. She was beyond thrilled to hear that I was eating this way. Because who knew.....but she eats Paleo with her family. She said it's the only way to eat. And if more people ate this way, they wouldn't see the dr very often!! I told her I wanted to stay on the Whole30 a bit longer, was it ok and she gave her stamp of approval ... along with some
tips on when I stop it.
 
So there.....it's been great. I realize it's not for everyone but for me, I love
it and will continue to eat this way. I know when fresh veggies are done
for the summer, it will be a little tougher but I'll get through it.
Looking in to lots of Paleo soups to cook!
 
and for anyone who thinks you can't eat good.....well see below
that was my breakfast this morning. Eggs cooked in coconut oil, which
is amazing and so so so much better tasting than butter or other
oils......bacon, nitrate free and sugar free and avocado!!
before Whole30, it would have been a cup of grits with a lot
of butter!!
 
 
later.....


No comments: