Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Nature just kills me ....

I really love animals
I love the birds in the spring and I always feed them
even the dang squirrels, for them I buy a big bag of corn on the cob
and I have a feeder that the cob fits in
They are just fun to watch

We have a lot of the little yellow finches and the gray,
black and white finches. And the cardinals, they are my favorite
this past winter we had some snow and I had filled the feeder
with the seeds that the cardinals love and wow I had
about 25 cardinals out back, male and female.
their brilliant red against the snow was beautiful

I had to stop putting a wreath on the front door in
the spring as the birds would always build a nest
and then it would just worry me so badly that they 
wouldn't survive or a dang snake would crawl up my
front door to get the eggs.....arghh! 
if that happened, I would have to move

back a few years ago a baby robin fell out of the nest
and we couldn't not get to the nest. The momma robin was around
so we put the baby in a shoe box hoping she would feed it
but she didn't.....so we did! We researched what to feed it
and you have to do it all day long.
we were taking vacation days as we had family here from
out of town. So everyone pitched in taking care of the baby
eventually it was able to fly and the momma bird returned
so that turned out well

And now again, a whole nest fell out of the tall pine tree
3 babies and one egg unhatched.
the babies are older though because they are covered in feathers
and you know I have to take care of them
I just don't have it in me to ignore them and let them die
so we put them in a box with some papers
I put seed in there for the momma bird
and she has been bringing them food every day, all day long
it has been 3 days now, they are getting bigger and stronger
and momma bird is still feeding them all day



now here is the most sad part....poor little Pippa Lou wants
to be their mother! (remember the Dr Suess book, Are you
my Mother) one of the birds fell out of the box and sweet little
Pippa Lou stood guard over it until Johnny came outside and saw
what was going on. Johnny put him back in the box. We can't
leave her outside even though we have the box up high
she just wants to stand guard and it scares momma bird.

that's it for now
later.....


No comments: