Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fresh Basil......










I know everyone's gardens are full of fresh basil right now. Here's a great recipe.....

3 large tomatoes (coarsely chopped - 3 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
12 oz box fusilli pasta .....or your fav pasta
1 cup fresh basil leaves cut into thin strips

Put tomatoes, onion, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, papper and oregano in a large bowl, toss. Let stand at room temp at least 30 min ....tossing occasionally.

Cook pasta, drain and add to bowl with tomatoes. lightly toss........add basil.
This is a wonderful summer recipe......my family just loves it. I like to make it ahead of time so that it has a chance to chill. I made some for our cook out today along with fruit salad.......watermelon, blueberries and kiwi. I'm also fixing those smashed potatoes from Pioneer Woman and grilling hamburgers and hotdogs. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!


later.........

5 comments:

Karen said...

Yum! I am always on the lookout for a good recipe. This sounds wonderful. But BOTH salads look great! I don't know why, I never buy Kiwi. I guess because I don't know how to tell a good one. HA!
I can just see you serving these salads tonight ON YOUR NEW PATIO!!! WHOO HOOOO!!!!!!
HAGD!

Mallory said...

That pasta looks so good!
I'm going to have to try out that recipe!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

YUMMY!!! I am going to try this one!!! Your salads look good too!!!

Enjoy the day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Anonymous said...

The pasta salad looks delicious! thank you so much for your kind words. It has been difficult but each day is better than the last!

Julie said...

That looks wonderful. It has been a while since I ate anything really good. Your paved patio is amazing too.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the kind comments you have left on my blog. I am exhausted from grief and now things have taken a turn for the worse..