Thursday, May 15, 2008

Strawberry Jam.......

I'm posting this recipe for Paula........the only tip I can give you is do not double the recipe. As I said, I had never made the jam before and I wanted more than the recipe called for as I would be giving this as gifts......so I doubled the recipe. Then while my jars were enjoying themselves in the "hot water bath"......I read a little tip sheet and it said, do not double recipe.......oops! The outcome would be that it may not "set" as well as it should.....but then again, it also said it could take up to 2 weeks to set.
so here it is.......it was fun and I still have mine setting out on the counter on the red and white towel.......for some reason, it makes me smile!
Strawberry Jam
4 pints strawberries (5 cups crushed)
1/2 tsp. margarine
1 package pectin (1-3/4 oz.)
7 cups sugar
Preparation - Wash the strawberries and remove the hulls. Chop and crush the berries in a food processor or by hand. In a large pot, measure 5 cups of crushed strawberries. Stir in the margarine and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir the sugar into the strawberry mixture. Bring to a full, rolling boil again. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off the foam. Ladle the jam into clean jars to 1/4" from the top. Wipe the rims. Cover the jars with the caps, then screw on the bands. Place the jars in a canner with just enough water to cover jars. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 4-1/2 pints


later.......

1 comment:

Loreluca said...

aw, man!!! sounds so complicated!!! I'm petrified!!!
i'll have to tell you if and when I get the courage to try!!!
;)