Wednesday, May 1, 2019

First winter ....

When we started telling people we were
retiring to the Outer Banks, most people would say....

"but what will you do all winter"

I always thought that was kind of weird and I would always answer
"I guess the same thing I do in Glen Allen in the winter"

I know it used to be so many places closed up down
here during the winter months but now it's not that many
and some close only for a month or so, not the entire winter

We had a great first winter down here though we have
heard it was mild in comparison to some of the winters
But that happens in Glen Allen too

Johnny will tell you the worst part was the wind
when cold, it just cut right through you, cold to the bone!

here we are on the beach Nov 25th 
I'm not wearing a coat, only a vest
and walking on the beach in November is great



December 1st our good friend Tim came to town and 
we were out on the beach again
it's also when I found my first piece of red sea glass
I understand it is very rare


Tim and Johnny fishing....no coats needed
we just couldn't believe it was Dec 1st and it was so nice


I still made my cinnamon buns


and we loved decorating our new house for Christmas


and as I do every winter, I work on a puzzle


I did change my wardrobe slightly....added a bunch of hoodies


of course Johnny brought the excitement.....
so sick having to be flown to Greenville, NC


Turns out winter is some of the best shell hunting
we went out every chance we got


and here is the beach at the end of January
grandkids came down and we had a lot of fun on the beach


and went to one of the lighthouses


more great ocean treasures


We also saw some of the most amazing sunsets 



Feb 14th on the beach!



I def did a lot more cooking during the winter
and especially soups and chili's


always interesting weather...be it the wind, fog and Nor'Easters


we took the off season to check out new to us restaurants
and enjoyed most of our favorite bars
a couple were closed for the winter

We shopped, went to art galleries, went to craft shows, went exploring
and really had a wonderful winter here


No comments: