Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dog food ...

I'll just start this post by saying everyone's dogs are different
and every dog owner is different
if you feed your dog commercial dog food, they love it
and have no side effects from it, that's great

I just happen to have made the choice not to do that
with my own dogs. I have a 13 year old Pek-a-Poo, a 2 year old
Teddy Bear and a 1 year old Teddy Bear

My dogs have always ate commercial dog food
but over the years, I cringed whenever I heard of yet another
dog food recall. Or read news of another pet losing their
life because some companies aren't always honest about their products.

I stopped feeding them commercial dog food just over a year
ago because my old girl Chrissy stopped eating. She has always been
a light eater but now she wasn't eating anything. I had to do something
as she was becoming just skin and bones. And after a check up at the vet, she was very healthy, just wouldn't eat. Also, my 2 teddy bears have pink skin so that usually indicates a greater chance of skin allergies. So I researched making their food and took the list to the vet for approval. The vet gave me directions
on things I could add to the list and vitamins I should give them.

So started my journey of cooking for them as if I had little kids
in the house again! I say that because that's how it feels now :)

In the beginning, I could only feed Chrissy and Bella Boo these foods
because Pippa Lou was still a baby and the vet asked that I not
take her off of puppy food until she hit one year old. I will say this....
it's a lot of work sometimes with my busy schedule.
On the nights I have Jazzercise I do not get home until 7:00.
If I do not have food prepared in advance, it's a pain. So those
nights, they usually get scrambled eggs with cheese and some
yogurt on the side. This also happens to be one of their favorites!
 
They eat  the following.......
ground turkey and chicken

yogurt

cheese and eggs

rice

sweet potatoes, carrots, string beans, white potatoes, pumpkin

cheerios and rice chex

plain granola

apples, celery, baby carrots

quinoa

fish
 
here they are having ground turkey, rice and pumpkin for supper


haha...all full from supper!
 


 

I always research before I feed them something new.
they also take a vitamin, all natural
Now Chrissy eats, I have no more issues with any of them
having upset stomachs.....they are very healthy.

I'll be honest, it's not always easy and sometimes I wish I
could just scoop food out of a big bag for them. But then I look at
my old girl Chrissy or I hear of another dog food recall or a pets death
and I'm glad I made the decision I did. They are my fur babies and
bring so much joy to mine and Johnny's life so I just know I'm doing
the right thing for them.

later......

No comments: