Sunday, June 26, 2011

Weddings ... speeches

Speeches at the engagement party, the rehearsal dinner and the wedding reception are very special.
they also cause people to worry, get nervous and re-do and re-do their speech!

As mother of the bride, the only speech I gave was at the engagement party.
I do not normally like to speak in front of a group of people but I looked forward to my speech.....though nervous!
I just wanted it to be special to Jacquelyn and Bucky

below is what I said.......

I want to first thank everyone for coming out to celebrate the engagement of Jacquelyn and Bucky and to join our families together.
Bucky has been around our house a long time...yes, a very long time!
At one point we wondered if he would ever leave ... and he didn't but we are glad.
Because it was then during Jacquelyn's surgeries that I witnessed a true love story.
And we feel so honored that Bucky will now be an "official member of our family.
And Jacquelyn, well, what can we say ... you are such a joy to our family and you deserve every bit of happiness that you have found with Bucky.
When children find true love, parents find true joy because it's all we ever want for our children.
So here's to your joy and our's from this day forward!

so then Johnny had to give the father of the bride speech at the wedding reception
and believe me..he was nervous!!
but he did great
here is what he said but he also made some side comments too that I can't really remember.

On behalf of Diane and myself, we would like to thank everyone for coming and sharing in Bucky and Jacquelyn's special day.
We would also like to welcome Lynn and Tom, Gail and Buck to the family and to a continuing and growing friendship.

As usual, Jacquelyn looks beautiful but even more beautiful today in her wedding gown and smile.

When Jacquelyn was about 6, I remember her telling Diane and I that she would never marry but would need someone to do all of the husband things. We said like what and she immediately said "Like moving refrigerators". So Bucky, here's to moving refrigerators!

I don't know if many fathers can sincerly say at their daughters wedding that they are very happy with the choice their daughter has made but I know that I can. Bucky is a good and thoughtful man and I know he loves my daughter with all of his heart and will take care of her. Your daughter being safe and happy is a fathers biggest concern.
Jacquelyn, like I said, you are always beautiful and especially beautiful today. Your mother and I are proud of you. Bucky, even though you have been a part of the family for a long time, I want to officially welcome you.
I'm sure that everyone here would like to join me in wishing you both a long and healthy future together.

I would like to recite a quote that Mark Twain wrote ...."No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century"
I am lucky enough to have experienced such a marriage. And I can only wish the same for Jacquelyn and Bucky. So please join me in raising your glass in a toast to the new Mr. and Mrs Mawyer!

The maid of honor also makes a speech at the reception. Our oldest daughter Nicole was her sisters maid of honor and below is her speech ....she also did a fabulous job!

As most of you know, I am Jacquelyn's older (and favorite) sister. I would like to first thank you all for making this trip to the Outer Banks. It means a lot to our family. Second, I want to thank you Jacquelyn for letting me be a part of your big day. I am honored to be your maid of honor but even more so, your sister.
Jacquelyn, when you were born, mom said I adored you. She said I wanted to hold you and feed you and kiss you every chance I got. But after a week, I wanted them to return you! Although, as we got older, I was glad they didn't return you. You started to come in handy and really, you weren't that annoying. You were good for playing Barbies and games. I realized you actually enjoyed letting me put crazy dress up clothes on you and play house, so you were pretty good entertainment. I even liked it when you came into my room and sat with me when I was sad, even though I told you to go away.

As we got older we didn't play Barbies or house anymore but we were still sisters and nothing could ever change that. And yes, I'm glad we kept you!. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to share in the excitement of your engagement, plan your bridal shower and have so much fun dress shopping nor have the honor of proudly calling you my sister ... the best one I could ask for. You've always been there for me when I needed someone and listened to me even if you do think I talk too much!

Congratulations little sister and thank you mom and dad for not listening to me when I was little.

And to Bucky ....  I know you're the perfect man for my sister because I have never seen her so happy as she has been these past 7 years. I want to welcome you to our family and say I am proud to officially call you my brother in law. I'd like to propose a toast to my sister Jacquelyn and her new husband Bucky. Here's to true love!

So those were our speeches. We didn't have to give any at the rehearsal dinner as that was up to the grooms parents...and they were wonderful too but I don't have them.

so this wedding tip ... it's ok to be nervous, most people are. But really take the time to work on it and make it special for the bride and groom. It really is something that both of them will cherish for years.

later.....

No comments: