Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Soup recipe.......

I tried this new soup over the weekend on the recommendation from
one of my friends at work
and let me just tell ya.......probably our new favorite soup!!

ITALIAN BEAN SOUP

1 med onion, thinly sliced
1 small potato, peeled and finely chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
3 garlic closed, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cans ( 14 1/2 oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto
1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese

In a dutch oven, saute the onion, potato, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, parsley and pesto. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. 

add spinach and cook just until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.

serves 6

now for my adjustments...........in addition to the one can of stewed tomatoes, I also added 1 pint of my home canned tomatoes.
I also bought one of those roasted chickens at the grocery store and picked the meat off...and added to the soup. Because mostly I knew Johnny wouldn't go for a meatless soup! I did make a vegetarian version for Jacquelyn, no chicken, extra can of beans and I used vegetable broth rather than chicken broth.

this soup is awesome......so much so that I'll probably make it again in another week! 
Let me know if you make it and how you liked it

later...... 

No comments: