Monday, January 25, 2010

A warm January day....

***update....I appreciate everyone's suggestions...so great having a network of friends here in blog land. It seems that she may no longer have fleas as we can find no evidence at all. I know they leave little black what ever's on the animals skin.....her skin is just white as snow. I think either she is having dry skin or something. I'm taking her to the groomer next week so we'll see what she says too. Again...thanks everyone! I just love my blog friends....later......

65 degrees in Richmond, VA today and they are predicting a large snow storm on Friday for our area. And get this....I am as excited as an elementary school kid!

My Chrissy girl has never had fleas in all of her 10 dog years. A puppy visited us in November and she got fleas and we cannot get rid of them. She had a bad reaction to Frontline, the vet gave her a pill guaranteed to kill all fleas within 2 hours.........we have given her this twice! She has been bathed in flea shampoo and is now sporting a lovely flea collar. (and it really doesn't go with her snazzy pink flowered collar)  And still, she bites at fleas!

any suggestions?

later......

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oh sad. i wish i knew how to get rid of them. maybe you could talk them into joining a flea circus. thankfully my dogs haven't had them-yet!

LilliGirl said...

Borax on your carpets is a beautiful thing. I'm just saying.

I can't decide if I'm excited about the snow or not...I will SOOOO want to go sledding but don't get more x-rays til valentines

LilliGirl said...

From Thrifty Fun: Fleas--Now is the time to rid your house with natural products. Save a bundle. Mostly, be kind to your animals. Spread dry 20 Mule team Borax, about 1 and a half to 2 cups per average size carpeted room. That is where the fleas live and breed in your house.
Leave for 2 weeks without vacuuming so the cycle covers eggs, larvae and adults. You will have eliminated your household fleas for at least a year and a half. If you get a few freezes, your yard should be pretty well rid of them as well.

Be careful in warmer weather what pets may bring in from a drop in. Your yard could become reinfested. Visitors arrive with a dog with fleas? Keep your yard flea free by asking them to contain their dog (safely, not in hot car).

Treat your animals flea allergy with Willards water xxx and watch the quick healing. Also a natural product that does some amazing things. Check on internet about Willard's water. Your pets will be so much better off and comfortable.

Dawn Marie said...

I would stick with natural products also,,,but I'm not so sure about Borax. Google that and see what info you get. I personally have not used it. I will check into Essential Oil Blends to see if there is anything.

I've always had luck with the cheap flea collars. BUT..now that I'm into this natural stuff I will be doing my own thing if I have a need for it.

Lucy said...

Our carpenters brought fleas into our home and onto our Suzie. (Cat.) (Or princess, we're never clear on that...) And I had to use Advantage Plus to get them out of her Maine Coon fur! I couldn't find ANY info on natural methods. That was a couple years ago and no more after two doses. I hated doing it, but couldn't let them stay! Also combed her every chance I got. Warm water in a bowl woth dish soap. They suffocate under the soap... No squishing!

Anonymous said...

Fleas are no fun. Here in Louisiana we fight them year round. Good luck~

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

It might no longer be the fleas she's biting at, but the irritation from having been bitten.

I give my four dogs Sentinel all year long and I've never seen a flea.

LilliGirl said...

Dry skin is a possibility. The black stuff is called "flea dirt." You might give her alittle olive oil and mix a lettle egg in her food for the skin